Twitter RSS Feed Email 

Happiness



What does happiness mean?
"Happiness means a state of positive well-being. At least, that was the outcome of our talk in the classroom. Unfortunately, this does not say very much. For example, we had a discussion about how long you should be in this state to call it happiness. Can you be happy for 10 seconds? I think not. I would rather call this joy. To value happiness is to value something which takes longer."


"I like the idea that happiness is not a goal
but a side-effect"


Do you think that happiness is an intrinsic value?
"Happiness is definitively an intrinsic value. This means that you can value happiness for itself and that you probably do not value happiness for another value. For example, some people value money but when you ask why do you value money? they will probably tell you Because then I am happy. But if you ask why do you value happiness? then there is no answer. There is no reference to another value. I want to be happy because I value respect? I cannot imagine someone saying this."

Do you characterize happiness as a virtue or a value?
"I like the idea - as I understand from Aristotle - that happiness is not a goal but a side-effect. If you pursue happiness you'll probably never get it. Or you will always be afraid of losing it. So yes, maybe it is a virtue. If I am doing the things I like, when I am in a flow, I am also happy. But in many of those cases I am intrinsically motivated. I am with friends because I like to be with friends. Friends make me happy (as also Aristotle is saying in The Ethica). I do not hang out with friends because I know that this will make me happy. Being happy is a side-effect of having close friends and family. Then again, happiness as a virtue can be valued. For me happiness is a virtue and a value."

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Our motto
"Happiness is that state of consciousness which proceeds from the achievement of ones values."

~ Ayn Rend

Values-quote

Most read